Are you tired of your outdated cabinets and fixtures? Is your kitchen’s layout making everyday tasks more difficult? Whatever the case may be, our team can get you from the kitchen you have now to the one-of-a-kind kitchen you’ve always dreamed of.Learn More >>
Hatfield Builder & Remodelers is now Alair Homes Dallas
We are excited that we have become part of the Alair Homes team.
7 Dallas Area Flooring Trends
By Chad Hatfield
As your plan your home remodeling project — be it a single room or the entire house, it pays to think from the ground up. Flooring is often the first thing people notice when they enter a room; it dramatically ties together all of the cabinets, furniture, appliances and décor into a distinctive and welcoming design.
Within the four main flooring categories, Natural Wood, Engineered Hardwoods, Tile and Carpet, there are thousands of flooring substrates, colors and patterns to choose from. Which one is right for you? Well that depends on finding the right balance of fashion and functionality.
Before we show our clients a single sample or swatch, we discuss these seven topics:
1. Traffic — Kitchens, hallways and stairwells get a lot of foot traffic and can wear more easily; bedroom and bathroom floors, not so much. Natural Hardwood Floors in a wide variety of textures and stains are durable, beautiful and, according to USA Today, highly coveted by homebuyers. This Hatfield Builders home remodel in Plano features gorgeous wood stairs.
2. Spills — Kitchens and dining rooms are prone to spills from dropped plates, skillets, glassware, etc. A typical mess should be easy to clean up without causing permanent damage. This Engineered Hardwood floor in one of our Dallas home remodeling projects looks like real wood but doesn’t easily crack and won’t warp or discolor if spills are cleaned up quickly. Vinyl Plank flooring, pictured here in a Dallas kitchen remodel, also looks like natural wood, is spill and slip resistant, and is very comfortable to walk on.
3. Scratches — Families with dogs, cats or kids will want to invest in floors that won’t easily scratch. Engineered hardwood floors are great for kitchens with high pet traffic. If your heart is set on natural wood, a light hardscape provides a rustic look and allows light dings and scratches to blend in. Carpeting, like in this Plano master bedroom and bathroom remodel, allows furniture to be moved about without risk of gouges. Waterproof carpet padding further reduces the risk of mold and mildew.
4. Moisture — Beyond spills, floors can be exposed to visible and hidden moisture that can cause mildew, discoloration and warping. Flooring around dog bowls, sinks, laundry and dishwashing machines, showers and tubs, foyers and mudrooms are magnets for moisture. Tile is great for the mudroom/laundry room where tracked in mud, leaking suds and water puddles won’t cause lasting damage. The tile in this Dallas bathroom remodel holds up to humidity and near constant moisture in the bathroom.
5. Accents — Flooring cannot be changed as easily as painting a room, so it should be somewhat neutral to allow the greatest variety of furniture, cabinet, appliance, window treatment and wall color options. When remodeling a kitchen or bathroom, colorful tile can be employed as an accent — along the sink backsplash area, or inside the shower, as we did for this master bath remodel in Dallas.
6. Care & Cleaning — If anyone if your family has asthma or allergies, carpet can increase exposure to dust, dirt and dust mites. Tiles with dark grout, engineered hardwood flooring and darker hardwood, as seen in this Dallas bar remodel, can hide dirt for longer, though weekly deep cleanings are always recommended.
7. Comfort — Carpeted living rooms turn every inch into seating space for movie & game night. Cork floors, like in this remodeled Dallas wine cellar, are ideal to control humidity; they’re also soft on the feet and protect wine bottles that tip over.
So, what types of new floors are in store for you? Let Hatfield Builders & Remodelers help you make choices that are right for you and your home remodeling project today!
- 1Initial Meetings
- 2Space Measurement
- 3Project Selection Meeting
- 4Design Package Review
- 5Initial Budget Review
- 6Selection Finalization
- 7Construction Agreement & Deposit
- 8Pre-Construction Hand-Off Meeting
- 9Start of Construction
Ready to fall in love with your bathroom? Whether you are running out of bathroom storage space or you’ve been dreaming of a new, luxurious bathtub, our team can help! We’ll work with you to design a beautiful bathroom remodel that fits your needs.Learn More >>
- LIVING & FAMILY
ROOMSLIVING & FAMILY
Watching the game with your friends, playing with your children, relaxing on the couch—your living room is used for so many activities! It’s important for this space to be functional and to reflect your tastes. We can design the perfect family room for your lifestyle.Learn More >>
- WHOLE HOMEWHOLE HOME
If someone asked you to describe your dream home, would it be your current home? If not, we can help! We believe that everyone deserves to fall in love with their home. With our whole home remodeling services, we can make your dream home a reality.Learn More >>
Massive closets with custom-built storage solutions, wine cellars that would make a sommelier jealous—our team at Hatfield Builders & Remodelers can take on these and other projects to make your home as uniquely fit for your needs and tastes as possible!Learn More >>