Are you tired of your outdated cabinets and fixtures? Is your kitchen’s layout making everyday tasks more difficult? Whatever the case may be, our team can get you from the kitchen you have now to the one-of-a-kind kitchen you’ve always dreamed of.Learn More >>
Home Maintenance Tips: Know the Age of Your Water Heater
There are some things that get better with age, but a water heater isn’t one of them. Depending on the manufacturer’s suggested service life, the lifespan of a water heater is about 8 to 12 years. Unfortunately, homeowners are often completely unaware of the need to maintain and replace this household appliance. We have had too many clients end up with a flood due to a cracked water heater, which is why we strongly recommend replacement of a water heater at about 8 years. If you wait longer, you’re essentially rolling the dice that your water heater will malfunction and flood your home.
- Drain the tank periodically. Sediment and mineral build-up can cause damage to a tank. By periodically draining the tank every 6 to 12 months, depending on manufacturer’s recommendations, you can clear out these materials that impede performance. Most manufacturers recommend doing this at least once per year.
- Insulate the water heater. You may be able to save on your utility bills by insulating a water heater. If your water heater feels warm to the touch, it should be insulated. Simply add a pre-cut blanket or water heater jacket, available at your local hardware store, to reduce heat loss and water heating costs. Newer water heaters may not require insulation.
- Get a professional inspection. Like many other home systems, it’s a good idea to schedule a professional inspection of your water heater once per year. A pro can drain the tank to remove sediment, if recommended; inspect the tank and connections for corrosion and wear; replace worn anode rods; check the pressure relief valve; and more.
New Requirements Mean Better Efficiency
Per the National Appliance Energy Conservation Act, all water heaters manufactured after April 16, 2015, must meet new energy requirements, so better efficiency will come standard with a new unit. Use this chart from the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors to determine the age of your water heater tank if you are unsure.
Looking for an expert home remodeler in Dallas, TX, or a nearby community? Let Hatfield Builders & Remodelers turn high-end inspiration into real-life solutions with smart home renovation. Give us a call today at (214) 278-6261 or check out our gallery to see our award-winning Dallas, TX, home additions, bathroom design and more.
701 East Plano Pkwy, Suite 400
Plano, TX 75074
- 1Initial Meetings
- 2Space Measurement
- 3Project Selection Meeting
- 4Design Package Review
- 5Initial Budget Review
- 6Selection Finalization
- 7Construction Agreement & Deposit
- 8Pre-Construction Hand-Off Meeting
- 9Start of Construction
Ready to fall in love with your bathroom? Whether you are running out of bathroom storage space or you’ve been dreaming of a new, luxurious bathtub, our team can help! We’ll work with you to design a beautiful bathroom remodel that fits your needs.Learn More >>
- LIVING & FAMILY
ROOMSLIVING & FAMILY
Watching the game with your friends, playing with your children, relaxing on the couch—your living room is used for so many activities! It’s important for this space to be functional and to reflect your tastes. We can design the perfect family room for your lifestyle.Learn More >>
- WHOLE HOMEWHOLE HOME
If someone asked you to describe your dream home, would it be your current home? If not, we can help! We believe that everyone deserves to fall in love with their home. With our whole home remodeling services, we can make your dream home a reality.Learn More >>
Massive closets with custom-built storage solutions, wine cellars that would make a sommelier jealous—our team at Hatfield Builders & Remodelers can take on these and other projects to make your home as uniquely fit for your needs and tastes as possible!Learn More >>