Are you tired of your outdated cabinets and fixtures? Is your kitchen’s layout making everyday tasks more difficult? Whatever the case may be, our team can get you from the kitchen you have now to the one-of-a-kind kitchen you’ve always dreamed of.Learn More >>
Hatfield Builder & Remodelers is now Alair Homes Dallas
We are excited that we have become part of the Alair Homes team.
How Long Does Home Remodeling Take?
A home remodeling project is a big undertaking. To ensure everything is done right, the process should involve different phases and steps. While it’s easy to get excited about your project and want to see the finished results ASAP, it’s essential to understand that a good remodeling company will be deliberate, ensuring every element is completed precisely to your liking.
Like many good things in life, a stunning redesign is worth the wait. To give you an idea of how long that wait will be, here’s some insider information on how long home remodeling projects typically take.
Remodeling Project Timeline: The Phases of a Home Remodel
In general, there are a handful of the key phases that all home remodeling projects include. In most projects, about 67% of the time is dedicated to the upfront planning. This includes design and plans, selections, pricing, and obtaining permits. Construction only takes about 33% of the project timeline.
Here’s a closer look at what a typical homeowner experiences during their home remodel project, with a breakdown of what happens in each stage and how long each typically lasts.
Phase 1: Research & Interviewing (2 weeks to 2+ months)
When you decide to pull the trigger and remodel your home, you’ll want to take the time to gather a lot of information. Looking online, reading company reviews & talking to others who have recently renovated are a great place to start. This phase consists of the following:
- Finding design inspirations that match your vision
- Determining which type of professional you will need to help you execute your vision
- Contacting firms that you may be interested in working with and beginning the process of interviewing them – see if they are a good fit for you and you are a good fit for them
- Deciding on a range of investment that makes sense for you
It tends to take longer for those who are just starting to think seriously about their remodel and want to do as much research as possible. It will take time (several meetings over a couple of weeks) to meet with several different companies, and they may each have a different process for how they would approach designing and planning your project. Keep in mind that reputable companies usually stay busy year-round and almost always have a waitlist for their upcoming projects.
Phase 2: Design (2 to 4 months)
Once you have finished your research, selected a professional to partner with, and are ready to move forward, it’s time to develop the project plan. Hatfield Builders draws up a design agreement at the start of this phase to ensure that our team and clients are all on the same page. This phase will involve writing down the plan details and working out the changes for your space. Working with a professional at this stage is vital to ensuring:
- Nothing is left out of your plan and detailed scope of work
- Your vision is accurately translated into the written plan, physical drawings, and 3D renderings, AND you love the look of your new space
- Your selected materials will enhance your new space and work within your budget
- Your remodeling team has time to plan with required trade partners and obtain pricing for your project specifics.
- The next phases of your remodel can move forward as efficiently as possible
If you’ve been doing your homework on your remodel and have very clear ideas about what you want, this phase can go quickly. As your ideas for your remodel take shape in the plans, beware that you may change your mind about certain aspects of the project.
These changes can be determined by pricing and feasibility, which is mapped out during this time. This can mean making changes, which is why this phase of remodeling projects may last longer than most homeowners expect. An experienced design professional will listen at each step of the way and help guide you towards decisions that will not only fit within your vision but ultimately keep this phase on track.
Phase 3: Pre-Construction (3 to 6 weeks)
With your finalized remodel plans, it’s now time to get everything ready for construction. This phase usually involves:
- Final review of plans, scope of work & pricing
- Signing a construction agreement & paying deposits for materials
- Ordering all of the materials for your project
- Developing a specific sequence, an appropriate start date, and a timeline for the construction
- Obtaining city permits
- Handoff from design to your project management team
- Preparing your home for the construction phase
Occasionally, this phase can go longer if your city asks for a lot of details to issue a permit. Sometimes the materials you select may have long lead times and you may need to wait to start your project until after the materials are on their way to you. Remodeling companies will time your start to be in the best sequence for you and your supervisory team.
Phase 4: Construction (2 months+)
Now, it’s time for construction to begin! This final phase varies in length, depending on the scope of your project. Many factors can affect the timeline of this phase, including the:
- Availability of trade partners and your selected materials
- Hidden conditions that take extra time to repair before moving forward
- Complexity and magnitude of the project
- Changes that you decide to make during construction that may slow down progress
How Long It Takes for Remodels by Project Type
We have all heard horror stories from homeowners about their remodel taking a year or more to complete one space! Gasp! We strive to be as realistic as possible when talking to clients about how long their remodel will take knowing that each project is different and even the most planned out project can encounter issues.
Here’s a general idea of our construction timelines:
- Kitchen remodels: 12 to 14 weeks+ (We add the plus because, most often, this space is adjoining living rooms or dining rooms that also will be a part of the remodel.)
- Bathroom remodels: 8 to 12 weeks
- Whole home remodel: 20 to 22 weeks
- Additions: 18 to 20 weeks
- Detached Garages & Outbuildings: 12 to 16 weeks
We will carefully evaluate how long we think it will take to complete your project as they are all different.
If you’re planning on remodeling multiple areas of your home, the time frame for the construction phase will depend on whether the work is being completed simultaneously or in a phased sequence.
Contact Hatfield Builders & Remodelers for More Answers About Your Project
Get answers about how long your remodel project will take—and partner with a trusted team of remodeling professionals—by contacting Team Hatfield today! We offer a personalized design-build approach, backed by the highest quality home remodeling services available in the North Dallas area. Check out how happy these homeowners are with the remodel we recently completed for them!
When you work with us, we’ll take the time to fully understand your vision and needs while guiding you at every phase of your project.
To get more answers or get started, call (214) 278-6261 or contact Team Hatfield online!
We also invite you to check out some more of our before and after project photos, as well as our excellent client reviews, to see why we’re a leading choice for remodeling services throughout North Dallas!
- 1Initial Meetings
- 2Space Measurement
- 3Project Selection Meeting
- 4Design Package Review
- 5Initial Budget Review
- 6Selection Finalization
- 7Construction Agreement & Deposit
- 8Pre-Construction Hand-Off Meeting
- 9Start of Construction
Ready to fall in love with your bathroom? Whether you are running out of bathroom storage space or you’ve been dreaming of a new, luxurious bathtub, our team can help! We’ll work with you to design a beautiful bathroom remodel that fits your needs.Learn More >>
- LIVING & FAMILY
ROOMSLIVING & FAMILY
Watching the game with your friends, playing with your children, relaxing on the couch—your living room is used for so many activities! It’s important for this space to be functional and to reflect your tastes. We can design the perfect family room for your lifestyle.Learn More >>
- WHOLE HOMEWHOLE HOME
If someone asked you to describe your dream home, would it be your current home? If not, we can help! We believe that everyone deserves to fall in love with their home. With our whole home remodeling services, we can make your dream home a reality.Learn More >>
Massive closets with custom-built storage solutions, wine cellars that would make a sommelier jealous—our team at Hatfield Builders & Remodelers can take on these and other projects to make your home as uniquely fit for your needs and tastes as possible!Learn More >>