Are you tired of your outdated cabinets and fixtures? Is your kitchen’s layout making everyday tasks more difficult? Whatever the case may be, our team can get you from the kitchen you have now to the one-of-a-kind kitchen you’ve always dreamed of.Learn More >>
How to Prepare for a Remodel
At Hatfield Builders & Remodelers, we pride ourselves on making the vision you have for your home come to life. Our team is with you every step of the way, from design and demolition to construction and the final touches.
While a well-executed renovation can offer gorgeous results, we know that there is no way to snap your fingers and have your dream home completed overnight. Remodeling is a process that takes time, patience, and energy from everyone involved.
To help you make the process as painless and rewarding as possible, here are some tips and tricks on how to prepare for a remodel.
How to Prepare Your Home for a Remodel: 5 Tips
As you work with your remodel team to design your new floorplan and make all of the decisions for your new space, here’s what you can do on your own to get your home ready for construction:
- Pack up the areas that’ll be remodeled: Remove and pack all personal items, so your space is ready for work. Don’t forget to remove wall hangings, fixtures you want to keep, and anything valuable from the space. After you’ve packed, it’s a good idea to do one more walk through to be sure you’ve removed and packed everything.
- Rent storage if needed: If you’re remodeling your entire home or you simply don’t have extra storage space in your home for your packed items, rent a storage pod or space for the duration of the project.
- Make sure you have easy access to the necessities: Designate an area for the items you need and use day to day, like your toiletries, clothing, electronic equipment, chargers, etc. This can make your life a whole lot easier when construction gets underway.
- Set up temporary areas if needed: If you’re planning on staying in your home during the remodel, create temporary spaces for the activities you need to do daily. Make sure these are set up where you’ll have enough privacy, electricity, water access, and anything else you need to stay comfortable.
- Call a charity to pick up items for donations: If you’re donating extras or items you’ll be replacing as part of your remodel, coordinate with the charity ahead of time to make sure these items are not in the way—and that you don’t have anything extra to take care of—when the remodel starts.
How to Prepare Yourself & Your Family for a Remodel: 5 Things to Consider
Preparing the remodel plans and your home are just a couple of elements of the planning stage that can make the whole process a lot easier when it’s time to start construction. Another major aspect that’s extremely helpful to prepare for is how and where you and your family will live during the process. Specifically, this comes down to whether you need to prepare to stay in your home or make plans to stay elsewhere.
As you’re making this important decision, here are some essential factors to consider:
- Remodel plans: Are a few or many spaces in your home going to be worked on at the same time? Do the plans call for remodeling certain areas one after the other? If multiple areas will be undergoing construction simultaneously, moving out during the project is usually the best way to avoid major day-to-day disruptions in your routine.
- Noise: Are you or your family sensitive to noise? Remodels aren’t typically quiet projects, so if loud noise will be disturbing for you to live with day to day, again, moving out during the project will likely be a good idea.
- Dust: Does anyone in your family have allergies or respiratory issues? Remodels generate a lot of dust. So, you’ll likely want to stay somewhere other than your home during the remodel if dust will exacerbate health issues or cause you discomfort
- Pets: If you have pets, do you think the remodel would be upsetting for them? Pets may find the noise and new people in your home (the construction team) alarming, and that can mean more stress on you. So, consider finding a more pet-friendly place to stay during your remodel if you want to minimize the disruptions to your life, as well as your pet’s life, during the project.
- Comfort: Even if you think your family and pets can handle the noise, dust, and other things that come with remodels, how comfortable do you really think you’ll be living in your home while it’s under construction? Most people find that they’re far more comfortable moving out and living somewhere else while their remodel is happening. Planning for this ahead of time can make your life and your family’s life a lot easier during the entire project.
3 Other Things You Can Do to Prepare for a Remodel
- Talk to your children: Home construction can be disruptive to smaller children, especially if your family will be displaced during the project. Explaining what’s going to happen and why you’re doing the remodel can put kids at ease and get them excited about the project!
- Talk to your neighbors: Let them know about your project and how long it’s expected to last. A little head’s up can go a long way to preserving a good relationship with your neighbors.
- Be ready to keep the lines of communication open: With your remodel team and your family, open communication is vital to setting the right expectations, eliminating confusion, and reducing everyone’s stress levels.
Partner with Trusted Experts for Your Remodel: Contact Hatfield Builders & Remodelers Today
Are you ready to make your dream home a reality? If so, Team Hatfield is ready to partner with you for your remodel project! We offer comprehensive remodeling services, from room additions and small remodels to whole-home renovations.
Your dream home design is only a call or click away! To get your remodeling project started, simply call at 214-278-6261 or contact us online now.
We also invite you to check out some of our before and after project photos, as well as our excellent client reviews, to see why we’re a leading choice for remodeling services in and around Plano, Richardson, and the North Dallas areas!
- 1Initial Meetings
- 2Space Measurement
- 3Project Selection Meeting
- 4Design Package Review
- 5Initial Budget Review
- 6Selection Finalization
- 7Construction Agreement & Deposit
- 8Pre-Construction Hand-Off Meeting
- 9Start of Construction
Ready to fall in love with your bathroom? Whether you are running out of bathroom storage space or you’ve been dreaming of a new, luxurious bathtub, our team can help! We’ll work with you to design a beautiful bathroom remodel that fits your needs.Learn More >>
- LIVING & FAMILY
ROOMSLIVING & FAMILY
Watching the game with your friends, playing with your children, relaxing on the couch—your living room is used for so many activities! It’s important for this space to be functional and to reflect your tastes. We can design the perfect family room for your lifestyle.Learn More >>
- WHOLE HOMEWHOLE HOME
If someone asked you to describe your dream home, would it be your current home? If not, we can help! We believe that everyone deserves to fall in love with their home. With our whole home remodeling services, we can make your dream home a reality.Learn More >>
Massive closets with custom-built storage solutions, wine cellars that would make a sommelier jealous—our team at Hatfield Builders & Remodelers can take on these and other projects to make your home as uniquely fit for your needs and tastes as possible!Learn More >>